[racket-dev] OS X 10.8 includes new restrictions on running apps

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Feb 21 22:54:20 EST 2012

A few minutes ago, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> >
> > Also, it's likely that I don't understand, but it sounds to me
> > like it's better to stay out of this thing since otherwise you
> > need to commit to be sandboxed -- and if it's the same as on the
> > ios, then a sandboxed racket is not very useful...
>
> First, this isn't the same as the iOS sandbox, but it would be
> troublesome for Racket.  For example, I don't think `require' can
> work.
>
> Second, signing doesn't imply sandboxing, I think.  Only in the Mac
> App Store is sandboxing required.  I think we will definitely want
> to make Racket a signed app.

Yes to both -- but to clarify, it looks to me that in general the OS X
thing is slowly moving closer to iOS (so I guess that sandboxing will
get closer to it in time), and I'm also guessing that the second level
will slowly move to adopt restrictions from the first one (becoming a
kind of an alternative to distributing your application via the apple
store, but otherwise almost the same).

> Your friendly smug Linux user :),

(+1)