[racket-dev] OS X 10.8 includes new restrictions on running apps

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Feb 21 22:22:00 EST 2012

5 hours ago, John Clements wrote:
> In a move that I find not even slightly surprising, the new Apple
> operating system (10.8, out soon?) includes new features that make
> it harder for developers to deploy their code on user machines.
>
> http://tidbits.com/article/12795

The thing that I didn't expect is that this will be done with
"security" as the excuse for the restrictions.  (But it's kind of
obvious...)

But it doesn't look like much -- IIUC, the only thing that happens
without a key is that it'll ask you an "are you sure you want to
install this application", right?  (With an intentionally difficult
procedure instead of "yes".)

Also, it's likely that I don't understand, but it sounds to me like
it's better to stay out of this thing since otherwise you need to
commit to be sandboxed -- and if it's the same as on the ios, then a
sandboxed racket is not very useful...

5 hours ago, Robby Findler wrote:
> I'm hoping that there will be some backlash from this and we'll not
> actually see a high setting being the default in 10.8 ....

(FWIW, I see exactly one negative comment there...)