[racket-dev] new logo

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 11 19:49:10 EST 2012

On 02/11/2012 11:40 AM, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2012, at 1:27 PM, John Clements wrote:
>
>> Would it be productive to choose one randomly on startup?
>>
>> Also, in case it's not obvious, a rotated and flipped version of the logo does recall the lambda pretty clearly:
>>
>> <racket-logo-plastic-rotflip-256x256.png>
>>
>> Re-rendering the image with the lighting in the right place might change or improve this, though I agree that the weighting of the strokes is all wrong here.
>

> How expensive would it be to rotate the logo from 'r' to 'λ' during start up? Now *that* would be wonderful! -- Matthias

You could help me quantify this. If you have a recent nightly, try this
program:

#lang racket
(require images/tests/effects-tests)

It will output four lines of timing info, then open a GUI frame and
whirl-morph between the PLT and Racket logos a few times.

The first three lines are compile-time-only costs. The last line is a
runtime cost: how long it takes to load the compiled JPEGs that comprise
the animation. On my computer, it takes 200ms.

Could you try that program and reply with the numbers? (I wouldn't mind
if a few other people tried it as well. :))

Using adaptive frame skipping, I think I could guarantee that the
animation takes less than 1/4 second, not including loading time.

(Robby already said "no" to animations, but he has to do what you say,
right? :p)

Neil ⊥

Posted on the dev mailing list.