[racket-dev] online check syntax deadlock: can you help?

From: Tony Garnock-Jones (tonyg at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 1 07:32:14 EDT 2011

> Is that expected? It looks like the OS is preventing
> not-full-fledged-app-things from opening windows and handling input.
> This is OS 10.6,8.

It probably needs to run from inside the .app folder. OS X uses the full
path to the binary to figure out the name to use to dispatch events, or
something similarly odd! I've tried a couple of quick experiments along
the lines of

$ /Applications/Racket v5.1.3/DrRacket.app/Contents/MacOS/DrRacket -W
info -l- drracket

but that binary doesn't like the -W switch.

[...]

Aha, removing the DrRacket binary from the Contents/MacOS directory and
symlinking plain racket there as DrRacket instead works for me:

$ mv DrRacket DrRacket.moved-out-of-the-way
$ ln -s /Applications/Racket\ v5.1.3/bin/racket DrRacket
$ /Applications/Racket v5.1.3/DrRacket.app/Contents/MacOS/DrRacket -W
info -l- drracket

I launch that all from an xterm in X11, though, so if it doesn't work
for you that's an interesting clue that Terminal.app is doing something
weird perhaps.

Regards,
  Tony

Posted on the dev mailing list.