[racket-dev] online check syntax deadlock: can you help?

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu Sep 1 02:00:25 EDT 2011

On Aug 31, 2011, at 5:08 PM, Robby Findler wrote:

> I've been seeing for some time now a deadlock in online check syntax.
> That is, after a while it just gets stuck and fails to complete the
> online check syntax. Typically what you see is the little blue dot
> come on but the cpu load drop to zero without any check syntax arrows
> ever showing up.
>
> Matthew and I have fixed a few things that could lead to these
> symptoms and I've just now pushed a change to compiler/cm to add some
> more informative logging.
>
> So: if you have the energy, can you please run DrRacket like this:
>
>  racket -W info -l- drracket

This doesn't work at all for me on the Mac, and highlights a problem that I've had at other times with racket & GUI frames: none of the keyboard input goes to the window.

Specifically, here's the sequence of events:

1) run racket -W info -l- drracket
2) See splash window come up, *underneath* terminal window and not given focus.
3) See DrRacket frame come up, again without focus.
4) Click on DrRacket frame, it gets focus and I see the cursor blinking.
5) Type a few characters -- they don't show up in DrRacket. Instead, they go to the terminal window.
Furthermore, there's no DrRacket menu bar, and no DrRacket icon in the cmd-tab list.

Is that expected? It looks like the OS is preventing not-full-fledged-app-things from opening windows and handling input. This is OS 10.6,8.

John Clements