[racket-dev] New plot library pushed

From: Doug Williams (m.douglas.williams at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 9 15:10:24 EDT 2011

I ported all of the science collection graphics to use the new plot package.
It was relatively painless. Most of the effort was actually in improving my
graphics using some of the new options - like adding labels for legends.
Also, there are many places with the old plot package where I had to fudge
things like #:x-min and #x-max - like #:x-min 0.001 instead of #:x-min 0.0 -
because the graphics package itself was very unforgiving of it's internal
numeric errors. Neil's seems to be much more robust and forgiving.
[Obviously I still need to do it in some cases where there would be contract
violations on functions being plotted.]

I used the rectangles and rectangles3d renderers to make my continuous
histogram plots and the discrete-histogram renderer to make my discrete
histogram plots. The discrete-histogram renderer was also good for the
plotting the discrete functions in general.

The graphics looks much better and, since I had encapsulated all of the
graphics routines from the start, no user code using them needs to change.

I am removing my plot extensions from the science collection. I don't think
they would even work with your compatibility module. I doubt that anyone
other than me ever used them anyway, but it is possible.

I will test it on all of my platforms over the next few days. [I did all of
this on one of my Windows 7 computers using the 64-bit version of the 5.2
pre-release version (5.1.900.1)].

Neil, thanks for the good work.

I've attached a couple of example plots from the science collection.

Doug