[racket-dev] racket/match is broken

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Oct 6 14:12:58 EDT 2011

A few minutes ago, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:
> Sam wrote:
>
> > Unlike, say, `syntax-parse', `match' isn't designed for the
> > use-case of building ASTs while matching.
>
> Wait, what? That's exactly what I want to use it for when writing
> toy interpreters for pedagogical purposes. Or am I misunderstanding
> what you're saying here? I want to do PLAI-style things, but with
> `match' instead of `type-case'. --PR

Sam is talking about building the ASTs *while* matching, which is what
Jay was trying to do with uses of `app'.  I think that a teaching
context is in particular one where such a thing doesn't fit -- it
obscures the distinction between the side the sexpr goes into, and the
side where an AST comes out.