[racket-dev] nice way to show a bitmap in a frame?

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Sat Mar 19 11:01:22 EDT 2011

Someone on stack overflow just asked how to draw a bitmap to the screen, and I couldn't think of an easier way than the following code.  Am I missing something obvious?  An existing bitmap-canvas% class, or something like it?

John

#lang racket

(require racket/draw
         mred)

;; define a canvas that displays a bitmap when its on-paint
;; method is called
(define bitmap-canvas%
  (class canvas%
    (init-field [bitmap #f])
    (inherit get-dc)
    (define/override (on-paint)
      (send (get-dc) draw-bitmap bitmap 0 0))
    (super-new)))

;; load the bitmap
(define bitmap (read-bitmap "/tmp/red-arrow.bmp"))

;; create a new frame (top-level window)
(define f (new frame% [label "foo"] [width 100] [height 100]))

;; create a canvas
(define the-canvas (new bitmap-canvas% [parent f] [bitmap bitmap]))

;; show the canvas
(send f show #t)