[racket-dev] Doc clarification for planet/util install-pkg

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Tue Jun 28 17:47:22 EDT 2011

I'm confused by the documentation for Planet's "install-pkg" function. First, it appears to me that this is what I'd use to simulate "raco planet fileinject"--is that correct? (I'm on a windows system, and I'm not sure how to get a command-line....)

Second, the package-spec that I construct has a version, but I also supply these as separate arguments to install-pkg.  My guess is that the package-spec indicates what I want, and the extra arguments specify what's in the file that I'm providing--is this correct? If so, I'll modify the documentation to state this.

Attached is the existing text.

John

(install-pkg pkg-spec file maj min) → (or/c pkg-spec? #f)
  pkg-spec : pkg-spec?
  file : path-string?
  maj : natural-number/c
  min : natural-number/c

Installs the package represented by the arguments, using the pkg-spec argument to find the path and name of the package to install.
See get-package-spec to build a pkg-spec argument.

Returns a new pkg-spec? corresponding to the package that was actually installed.