[racket-dev] Git

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 6 08:45:53 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 7:41 AM, Carl Eastlund <cce at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Robby Findler
> <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
>> Thanks, Carl. I have tried that route in the past and I found that I
>> let robby/plt get too far out of sync with the tree. So I'm looking
>> for a workflow where, perhaps, what I do is create robby/plt only when
>> I want to move between machines and use it as a temporary storage
>> place (as Eli's email suggests). Does that sound workable to you?
>>
>> Robby
>
> You can always just leave robby/plt around, but only use it for that
> purpose.  Even if you've left it in some odd state, at any point in
> time you can "git push --force" and it will just shove whatever you
> have to robby/plt and erase whatever is there.  It's hard to screw up
> too badly, too -- anything you "erase" is still available for at least
> 30 days, and you can't "push --force" to the public PLT repository
> anyway, so it'll complain if you try.

So, from my laptop, I do a push --force to robby/plt and that'll
clobber what is there and make it match my tree? And then if I want to
pull that to some other machine, is there an equivalent 'clobber what
is here and just give me what is over there' variant of pull? (I
recall when Matthew was using push --force to gr2 when it was on a
separate branch I sometimes had to just throw away my gr2 tree and try
again.)

> I have not had the problem you have had -- that is, my tree gets out
> of sync but I have no trouble rebasing -- but you work on more stuff,
> and more central stuff, than I usually do, so probably I've just been
> lucky in that regard.

I think I didn't run into that kind of trouble, if I understand
correctly, I just did work with a tree that was as up to date as I was
hoping it would be.

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.