[racket-dev] Git

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 6 08:41:21 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> Thanks, Carl. I have tried that route in the past and I found that I
> let robby/plt get too far out of sync with the tree. So I'm looking
> for a workflow where, perhaps, what I do is create robby/plt only when
> I want to move between machines and use it as a temporary storage
> place (as Eli's email suggests). Does that sound workable to you?
>
> Robby

You can always just leave robby/plt around, but only use it for that
purpose.  Even if you've left it in some odd state, at any point in
time you can "git push --force" and it will just shove whatever you
have to robby/plt and erase whatever is there.  It's hard to screw up
too badly, too -- anything you "erase" is still available for at least
30 days, and you can't "push --force" to the public PLT repository
anyway, so it'll complain if you try.

I have not had the problem you have had -- that is, my tree gets out
of sync but I have no trouble rebasing -- but you work on more stuff,
and more central stuff, than I usually do, so probably I've just been
lucky in that regard.

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.