[racket-dev] Racket home page proposal

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Dec 20 11:27:37 EST 2011

5 hours ago, Norman Gray wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> On 2011 Dec 20, at 05:34, Asumu Takikawa wrote:
>
> > Currently, the Racket home page is really nice, but it leaves a
> > significant amount of vertical space unused that could be used to
> > communicate information.
>
> ...or which could be used, as now, to project authority and
> decisiveness.

+3

(Note that when I added the "ad space" on the page I intentionally
didn't do so at the bottom of the page.)

> The white space below the text currently on the Racket page says
> "this is all that has to be said at this point; follow the links
> above for more information".  That makes me at least pay more
> attention to it.

Another point that wasn't raised so far is what to do with pages where
this content fits more.    For the example of a twitter/blog feed and
a facebook/google+ badges, the community page is much more fitting, so
either this proposal drags content from there to the front page (=>
noise), or places it on both (=> annoying redundancy).  It could work
better if there was some new content to put on the front page.

BTW, modulo objections along Neil's lines, it seems fine to add that
to the community page.  But note that there's no mention there of the
FB page since there's no content on it yet, and the same goes for
google+.

(BTW², with google+ you can even link to a page and have it integrated
by g+.  They also have a static version of the badge, no scripts and
no tracking.)