[racket-dev] Downloading DrRacket for Mac is hard?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri Aug 12 18:55:51 EDT 2011

Yesterday, Guillaume Marceau wrote:
> Or we can trust that the Mozilla Foundation's user interface
> designers has already done the experiment.  They have some of the
> best people of the industry working for them, including Aza Raskin,
> son of Jef Raskin, one of the original designer of the Macintosh. I
> see no reason to deviate from their design choice.
>
>    [big:]         DrRacket
>    [almost as large:]   Free Download
>    [small and grey:]  5.1.2 for Windows, English (US)
>
>    [outside of the button, small and light-grey:] All Systems & Languages

Borrowing too much from the Firefox download is not a good idea, since
there are some major differences.  In the above, the obvious things
are "Free" which they have a good reason to emphasize, and we have a
good reason to not even mention; also, we have some multilingual
support in drracket, but nothing at the installer level (except for
the Mac "installers" that have no text ATM).

But those are all in the cosmetics department.  The main thing that
I'd like to have is a more reliable way to do the platform detection,
and the difference between racket and FF is a substantial one: we have
a lot of downloads, but that's nothing compared to the masses that
install FF.  So it makes a bit more sense to "just hack something that
works", and rely on near-immediate user backlash when the guess is
wrong.