[racket-dev] Downloading DrRacket for Mac is hard?

From: Guillaume Marceau (gmarceau at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 11 15:36:22 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Guillaume Marceau <gmarceau at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Or we can trust that the Mozilla Foundation's user interface designers has
> already done the experiment. They have some of the best people of the
> industry working for them, including Aza Raskin, son of Jef Raskin, one of
> the original designer of the Macintosh. I see no reason to deviate from
> their design choice.
>    [big:]         DrRacket
>    [almost as large:]   Free Download
>    [small and grey:]  5.1.2 for Windows, English (US)
>    [outside of the button, small and light-grey:] All Systems & Languages
> Shriram, if you want I can email Aza and ask him what experiments they did
> to arrive at the current design.

This particular design is getting more common around the web.

Apple's iTune download page <http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/> have a
big button that reads "Download Now," then at the bottom of the page they
have two small links:

        64-bit editions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 require the iTunes
64-bit installer
and
        G3 Mac Users

Google Chrome <http://www.google.com/chrome/> has a big button that read
"Download Google Chrome", right below they have "It's free and installs in
seconds
For Windows XP, Vista, and 7," then at the bottom of the page, in small:

        Chrome for Mac or Linux · Chrome Beta

Sourceforge <http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkscape/> have a big button
"Download Inkscape-0.48.1…exe", and then below "Other Versions, Browse all
files"

etc.