[racket-dev] Release Announcement for v5.1.2

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 1 13:39:33 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> About a minute ago, Vincent St-Amour wrote:
>> - Typed Racket now optimizes at the REPL and inside typed regions.
>
> This sounds too uninteresting for most users.

Have we run out of space for release notes?  This certainly isn't as
important as places, but I think we should err on the side of more
rather than less in the release notes.

>> - Typed Racket now provides a command-line static performance
>>   debugging tool.
>
> It is?  In any case, I'd prefer announcing it when the whole thing is
> ready, ...

Typed Racket does, in the release, provide exactly that.  Should it
not be announced because it will get better in the future?

>>   A DrRacket-based graphical version will be
>>   available in the next release.
>
> ... and avoid pre-announcements for future features.

The reason that we wanted to include this is that Vincent demo'd this
feature at RacketCon; the sentence clarifies for anyone who saw or
heard about this when it will be available, and that it isn't the
version of the feature provided in 5.1.2.

>> Unrelated to TR:
>> - A high-level interface to Racket's logging facilities is now
>>   available in `unstable/logging'.
>
> So far there were no announcements about anything in `unstable', and I
> like to keep it out of the very public announcements.  (Unrelated to
> posting about it privately as a process to consider moving things
> out.)

This is something that lots of people have asked for, and feedback
from them on the interface would be useful while it's still in
development.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu