[plt-dev] Racket web page

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri May 21 10:11:47 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> Otherwise, let's have feedback on the content first, please.

Some initial thoughts:

- First, I like it!  Especially the slideshow.

- It's not obvious to a new user how different the various languages
are in the slideshow.  Unfortunately, I think the only way to make
that obvious is with syntax, which suggests that we should include
Datalog, for example.
- The slideshow font is too small - it should be bigger to be emphasized more.
- I think the blurb on the left is unclear - what does "unprecedented
control over the programming language" mean?  Using the word
"customize" here would help, I think.
- The blurb on the left wraps in an ugly fashion.

Finally, the biggest problem is that it relies too much on linking to
the documentation.  For example, all of the links in the paragraph
below "Start Quickly" go to the documentation, which both doesn't
explain enough (for DrRacket, for example) and looks radically
different.  I think we should have something like the "Getting
Started" page on the website, as well as a description of DrRacket,
and maybe some other things.

One final JavaScript bug: clicking the arrows in the slideshow take
you back to the top of the page if you've scrolled down.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the dev mailing list.