[racket-dev] P4P: A Syntax Proposal

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 28 13:45:20 EDT 2010

I've been vexed for a while about parenthetical syntax: I love it,
appreciate what it offers, but also recognize that no amount of
teaching or arguing alters how people perceive it.  With the switch to
Racket, and our continuing interest in user interface issues, I
believe it is wise to consider an optional alternate syntax.

I finally had a breakthrough last weekend on how to create a syntax
that may be more palateable without losing the essence of
parenthetical syntax.  As a preview, it does incorporate indentation,
but in a good way.  You'll see.

Feedback welcome.  The most important is whether you spot any flaws
regarding predictable parsing.

Here's a *non-permanent* URL where you can learn more:

  http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/tmp/P4P/

Shriram

Posted on the dev mailing list.