[plt-dev] Debugging planet installation

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 7 12:30:28 EST 2010

There is an odd problem with (planet cce/scheme) that several people
have encountered; if it is automatically downloaded and installed as a
dependency of another program, there is [often] an error setting up
the Scribble documentation that results in an annoying error message.
I would like to debug this error -- boil it down to a minimal example
-- but I have only ever seen it come up during indirect package
installation.  Specifically, installing the package directly or
setting it up as a development link will not trigger the bug.

The only way I can think of to reproduce this bug, then, is to create
a new planet package expressly for the purpose of reproducing it.
Every new variation on the package, for testing purposes, would have
to be a separate planet upload so I could test the effects during a
subsequent download.  Depending on how indirect the dependency needs
to be, I might have to upload two packages, one depending on the
other.

This is not a particularly efficient way of debugging, nor is storing
each trial-and-hopefully-error iteration of this package eternally a
good use of planet server space.

Does anyone have a better suggestion of how I might go about
reproducing this bug without spamming the planet server with my
attempts?

Carl Eastlund

Posted on the dev mailing list.