[plt-dev] Unicode is a pain

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 15 19:15:31 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> It has that funny name because you shouldn't have to type it much
> (only people writing contract systems (ie, Stevie) should need it).

Once something is in the documentation, that seems like an invitation
to other users to use it.  Just because something is used rarely or
only by a few people, doesn't mean it should be inconvenient does it?

> Plus, I think its name is wrong anyways, and will have to change, but
> not in a way you'd like :)
>
> Also typing "new-\exists<alt-\>/c" is shorter than what you propose.

Not really, if you count the time it'd take me to look up in Help Desk
how to do that.  I already know how to type the alphabet; I haven't
memorized DrScheme's Unicode shortcuts.  Nor does every programmer
interested in the contract system necessarily use DrScheme as their
primary editor.

--Carl

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Carl Eastlund <cce at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>> Specifically, can we please give "new-∃/c" an ascii alias such as
>> "new-existential/c"?  Or if such a thing already ∃, it needs to be
>> documented.  My desk is not big enough yet for a full unicode
>> keyboard.  More generally, unicode names are fine but we're not
>> "there" yet; we should always have ascii alternatives.  Thanks!
>>
>> Carl Eastlund

Posted on the dev mailing list.