[plt-dev] What happened to configure --prefix on MacOS?

From: Richard Cobbe (cobbe at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 2 09:21:09 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 06:46:09AM -0600, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> At Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:41:48 -0400, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> > Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I've been extremely
> > busy of late and haven't really been reading the PLT lists.
> >
> > I just did an "svn up" followed by "mkdir build; cd build; ../src/configure
> > --prefix=$HOME/Applications/plt", only to learn that configure no longer
> > supports --prefix on OS X.
> >
> > What's going on here?  How do I do a non-in-place build?
>
> You should have received the following error message:
>
>  ERROR: --prefix not allowed for a Mac OS X build, unless either
>           --enable-xonx is supplied (to create a Unix-style
>             build), or
>           --enable-macprefix is supplied (to allow a Mac-style
>             installation, even though --prefix is normally used
>             for Unix-style installations)
>
> So, you want `--enable-macprefix'.
>
> We disabled `--prefix' by default on Mac OS X, because it doesn't quite
> produce the layout that a Unix user would expect. The `--enable-macprefix'
> flag lets you use `--prefix' anyway.

Ah, I see.  I did indeed get that error message, but I didn't realize that
--enable-macprefix would get me what I wanted -- partly because I read the
error message too quickly, and partly because I was (and am) not entirely
clear on what "Mac-style installation" means.

I'll give that a shot.

Thanks!

Richard

Posted on the dev mailing list.