[plt-dev] Fwd: [plt-scheme] How to add a new language to DrScheme?

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 18 09:57:36 EST 2009

On Feb 18, Robby Findler wrote:
> We need the "I teach a course. How do I specialize drts to my
> course?"  chapter in the guide, IMO.
>
> Robby

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> Sounds like something we need a chapter on this stuff. Carl? Ryan? --
> Matthias

After the ICFP deadline (March 2) I could work on an introduction to
adding language levels to DrScheme -- presumably we want this to be
the Guide for which "Plugins: Extending DrScheme" is the Reference.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> Actually, there's plenty of stuff like that in the handin client, and
> together with the sudden popularity (very relatively speaking) of the
> handin server maybe it makes sense to add the whole thing to the
> standard distribution?

What "stuff like that" are you referring to?  The description of how
to customize and install the server/client packages?  And, given that
they're of the "customize and install" persuasion, how do you plan to
add it to the standard distribution?  Would you have people go in and
hack the sources we give them to get the server up and running?  I
don't think that really illustrates how to make a new language for
DrScheme, nor a great way to distribute libraries.

When can we get an implementation of the handin stuff as units or
something else parameterized so people can instantiate it without
hacking the provided sources?

--
Carl Eastlund