[plt-dev] Re: [plt-translators] Translations for test engine

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Apr 27 06:53:02 EDT 2009

On Apr 27, Michael Sperber wrote:

> Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> writes:
>
> > * This is in iplt/build/distribution-specs.
>
> The problem is that this documents the specs *as they are*, rather
> than as you'd like to see them.  How would it have helped me figure
> out there's a problem?

By the fact that it's added to the `dr' distribution -- that implies
that drscheme depends on it.  BTW, the part for packages is pretty
simple -- the main mess is in the overall rules for the system.
(Initially I even thought about putting package specific rules in the
packages info files or some other meta-file local to the package
directory.)

> > * Yes, there is a dependency now, this is bad -- but making it
> >   worse is not a good idea.
>
> Then maybe the test-engine needs to split in two parts: One that
> knows about DrScheme (and which can have translations), and one that
> doesn't.  It seems Kathy has already catered to that scenario the
> way the modules in collects/test-engine are organized.

* Yes, such splits are good -- but I basically get zero help from
  package authors.  (I've stopped trying to do that, so I just email
  when I see something obvious.)

* The files that are in the `dr' distribution are files that drscheme
  depends on, not the other way (otherwise they'd move to the `plt'
  distribution).

> > (You can see this by the fact that
> >   "test-engine" appears in dr-extras instead of plt-extras)
>
> A comment might help idle readers like me figure out that you
> consider this undesirable.

I tried to explain it several times, I don't think that anyone
remembers.  (This also applies to having `mr' and `dr' distros when
they're not really being built.)