[racket] Does Racket GUI scale?

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 9 21:24:45 EDT 2014

> Also I saw a lot of scrollable things in Windows who were
> longer than 32768 pixels (take big Excel tables, for example).
> Maybe they are implemented in a different way.

I don't think that a big-grid GUI application like Excel will use
controls for very much in its main window. Generally it is managing
all that itself.

It might use a _few_ plain windows, such as one for the column names
on top, another for the row names on the left, and then a big one for
the main grid client area. Just to make it easier to clip output.

If the user clicks in a button-like area, it will handle that itself.
e.g. If you click somewhere in the column header, it will calculate
which column, and draw that column as selected.

If the user clicks in a region it calculates to be a cell, it _might_
create a text-edit control there for in-place editing -- but just
temporarily, and destroy it when editing finishes.

All the logic for scrolling... managed itself.

At least, that's how I did Windows GUI stuff like this, 15+ years ago.
Usings hundreds or thousands of windows/controls was just too much
overhead to get desirable speed and space. Although the overhead might
be less, now, I imagine if you want a really crisp UI it's probably
much the same story.

Posted on the users mailing list.