[racket] "file dependency: ..." log messages with PLTSTDERR=info

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 14:09:05 EST 2013

I just added an item to
https://github.com/plt/racket/wiki/Intro-Projects under "Code
Improvements":

* Find uses of log-xxx (using the global logger), and use 5.3.2's new
`define-logger` form to change them to use their own logger. That way,
users can filter the log messages. Examples might include "optimizer"
and "file dependency" categories of messages.

(If anyone disagrees, it's a wiki, please feel free to revert my change.)

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Greg Hendershott
<greghendershott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. If you mean that more of Racket itself (such as cm) should use
> define-logger, I think you have a good point.
>
> There are things like GC that have been using the global logger
> "forever". Maybe changing those would be too difficult. Or perhaps
> (although it's harder for me to imagine) changing those could break
> something that expects the old behavior (??).
>
> But very recently added log messages probably wouldn't fall into that
> category, and could/should use their own logger.
>
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>> On 02/13/2013 08:47 AM, Greg Hendershott wrote:
>>>
>>> 5.3.2 lets you use a new `define-logger' form to define a named
>>> logger, and change the log-xxx calls to use that logger instead of the
>>> main/default one.
>>

>> Understood, and that's a tenable workaround - but should these "file
>> dependency" messages be appearing at the toplevel logger at all?
>>
>> Tony

Posted on the users mailing list.