[racket] text/font not rendering symbol fonts on WinXP

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 27 23:21:37 EST 2012

At Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:44:36 -0600, Robby Findler wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> > Unfortunately, patching Pango means compiling it myself for Windows,
> > which is a tedious task that I had so far avoided. Maybe it's
> > unavoidable, though.
>
> Does it make sense to try to leverage Eli's nightly build setup to
> automate this task?

No. The problem isn't regularly building the library, but setting up an
environment that can compile it just once. I thought that my recent
experience with mingw32/mingw64 to compile GMP and MPFR might help me
compile Pango, but it seems that I'm still not expert enough.

Meanwhile, it occurs to me that it's easy to just patch the binary ---
a one-byte change should do it.

Clement, can you try one of the following (the one matching your Racket
installation) as a replacement for "libpangowin32-1.0-0.dll" in the
"lib" directory of your Racket installation?

Win32:
 http://download.racket-lang.org/libs/10/win32/i386/libpangowin32-1.0-0.dll
Win64:
 http://download.racket-lang.org/libs/10/win32/x86_64/libpangowin32-1.0-0.dll