[racket] text/font not rendering symbol fonts on WinXP

From: Clement Erik Ferguson (clementraphael at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 19:19:02 EST 2012

I just built Racket under Ubuntu 64-bit but I'm still having the same
problem. Like Matthew, I also experienced the font installer crashing on
these fonts, so I copied them into /usr/share/fonts/truetype/myfonts and
regenerated the font cache. I was then able to use them in LibreOffice
Writer. I'm not certain why I don't experience the same behavior under
32-bit Ubuntu, though. I'll file a bug regarding the font installation with
Ubuntu.

However, I did notice that when importing the fonts into OS X, it refuses
to import the symbol fonts (one of the fonts is a textual font, and that
one works ok). A number of errors are reported.

I found another set of neume symbol fonts available called BZ Byzantina,
and those were able to be imported into OS X correctly. My OS X machine is
at work and I didn't have a chance to test the fonts in Racket, but this
gave me hope that maybe these fonts would magically work under Ubuntu.
Unfortunately, they had the same problem. The fonts can be downloaded from
here: http://www.dblab.ntua.gr/~stef/mysite/php/index.php?pg=pgbyz&lang=en

Maybe it would be best if I contacted the author of one of those fonts and
made a unicode version myself! Oh well. Thank you all for your help with
this.

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu