[racket] text/font not rendering symbol fonts on WinXP

From: Clement Erik Ferguson (clementraphael at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 13:29:50 EST 2012

Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to Racket and I ran into a problem with the text/font
function in 2htdp/image. stamourv on #racket helped me diagnose this, and
it seems to be a problem confined to Windows XP. When using text/font with
a symbol font like Wingdings or Symbol (standard symbol fonts included with
Windows) the character is not rendered. Instead, I get whatever the
equivalent Roman character would be.

For instance:

(define testingfont
  (text/font "012abc" 36 "black"
             "Wingdings" 'default 'normal 'normal #f))

If I then type testingfont into the interactions window, instead of
rendering a series of symbols I get the input string 012abc instead. I also
tried using 'symbol instead of 'default. We tried the same code on Debian
(stamourv) and Ubuntu (me) and it worked fine on those platforms.

I'm running Windows XP 32-bit, and I am using Racket 5.3.1.

Thanks!