[racket] eginner's question on elementary textual replacement...

From: Rüdiger Asche (rac at ruediger-asche.de)
Date: Fri Mar 9 05:36:36 EST 2012

Thanks, Neil -

of course I could always use variables - one could do the same thing
in C, using

const unsigned char ONE = 1;

The reason why one doesn't do it in C is that it costs you useless
storage, execution time overhead (the compiler can generally generate
more efficient code assigning constant values instead of reading form
the constant location first before storing back) and readability.

I am under the impression that bindings under Scheme are generally
more costly as well, so that's why I shy away from using bound
variables and would rather have some kind of super simple 1:1
syntactic replacement without bells and whistles.

The let-syntax road is definitly out of question because there will
typically be dozens or more of declarations, and dedicating a
expression such as

(ONE (syntax-id-rules () (ONE 1)))

for each and every one simply obfuscates what's behind it which is
exactly the opposite of the intention - probably one could write yet
another syntax rule that expands into the above expression, but to me
it seems a little strange to write nested layers of syntax rules if
all one wants is a simple textual replacement of every occurrence of
ONE by 1 before evaluation time?...

Thanks again!