[racket] display problem

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at cs.wpi.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 6 13:50:24 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Danny Yoo <dyoo at cs.wpi.edu> wrote:

>> Oke,
>> Back to the beginning.
>>
>> In the text is noted.
>> (define-struct editor (pre post))
>> ; Editor = (make-editor String String)
>> ; interp. (make-editor s t) means the text in the editor is
>> ; (string-append s t) with the cursor displayed between s and t
>>

>> So for aaaaa| s has the value of aaaaa en t has the value of ""
>> For aaaaa|aaa s  I think s has the value of aaaaa and t has the value of aaa
>

> Yes, much better.  Be a bit more specific.  Rather than say that
> something has the value aaaaa, it's a bit better to be consistent
> about what things are strings by putting quotes "aaaaa".

But to be clear, by examples of data, use code rather than prose: it will help.

When you say:

     So for aaaaa| s has the value of aaaaa and t has the value of ""

this is still a bit too informal in the place where you should be formal.

Rather:

    So for aaaaa|,   (make-editor "aaaaa" "")

    and for aaaaa|aaa,     (make-editor "aaaaa" "aaa")

It's ok to use informal prose, which might use your own notation.  But
follow it up with the notation used in the programming language.

Posted on the users mailing list.