[racket] Default current directory

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 28 18:31:02 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Neil Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:
> Robby Findler wrote at 11/28/2011 02:57 PM:
>>
>> I've adjusted DrRacket so that the initial current-directory is now
>> the user's home directory (when the file is not saved).
>>

> Currently on Linux, the "(current-directory)" seems to be the current
> working directory of the process from which DrRacket was started, and I rely
> on this somewhat in a few places.  Will this be changing?
>
> Why I ask... One way in which I somewhat rely on this is in a large
> Racket-based software system, for which developers typically have a few
> branches checked out on their workstation, there is a "drracket" Make target
> that invokes the correct version of DrRacket with several environment
> variables set appropriately for that particular checkout.  The current
> working directory for Racket is in the directory for that checkout., and
> this is the default when they go to pick a source code file to open.  Were
> this default directory to instead be their home directory, not only would
> that be aggravating, but it would also likely lead to user error, when they
> accidentally go to the wrong checkout tree and view/edit files there, rather
> than in the checkout they thought they were working in.

The file dialogs should not be changing. current-directory is a
parameter and the value of that parameter for DrRacket itself is not
changed. It is only the initial value of that parameter when running a
program inside DrRacket (and the program is in an unsaved file). In
any case, I'm unsure of the relationship between that parameter and
the file dialogs -- there may not be one; it may only be that on linux
they both get initialized in the same way.

If you see different behavior than that, tho, please do let us know.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.