[racket] DrRacket needs work

From: Stefan Schmiedl (s at xss.de)
Date: Sun Nov 13 10:46:44 EST 2011

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 23:11:15 -0500
Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> We, and in particular Robby, have put a lot of effort into making
> DrRacket a useful programming environment.  If you have specific ways
> of making it better, or even specific things that you found
> off-putting or difficult, that would be helpful.

One thing that annoys me is that while stepping through code
the pane with the variables gets hard to use if you have a
collection of, say, a few dozen elements in there.

Try stepping through

#lang racket

(let ((a (make-list 100 'x))
      (b (make-list 100 'y))
      (c (make-list 100 'z)))
  (+ (length a) (length b) (length c)))

and pretend you're interested in the beginning of a while walking
the +. If the printed representation of the collection is "wide"
enough, the variables pane will use a scroll bar, and scroll down
to the end on every single step.

Hiding the contents of uninteresting variables would be great, but
probably not that easy to implement. Restoring the relative position
of the scrollbar after updating the contents would alleviate the
problem, too.

That's the only thing to complain about that I can remember
right now.

Looking forward to playing around with 5.2,
s.

Posted on the users mailing list.