[racket] DrRacket needs work

From: Gregory Woodhouse (gregwoodhouse at me.com)
Date: Sat Nov 12 23:35:25 EST 2011

I'm not sure if this is really a matter of either/or - from a usability standpoint, I find DrRacket excellent, but it does seem a bit old-fashioned in some ways. I frankly find it a bit difficult to say just how. I know it doesn't look like Eclipse (and, yes, it wasn't hard to guess that the person who started this thread was thinking about Eclipse), but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  The various panes in Eclipse (or, for that matter, PhotoShop) can be useful for an expert user, but they can be annoying, particularly when they're not really necessary. Having to deal with different perspectives creates a certain amount of cognitive noise, especially when you start adding plug-ins, too.  Of the environments I typically use in development (Eclipse, Cache Studio, DrRacket and Xcode), I find Cache (an InterSystems product) and DrRacket the most intuitive - maybe because Java is a language I only use infrequently.

Sent from my iPad