[racket] article about Racket

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 12 22:07:21 EST 2011

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Raoul Duke <raould at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk at cs.brown.edu> wrote:
>> too vague (and, if you don't mind my saying, a bit too inflammatory)
>
> (a) oh based on previous experience, i expect you of all people to be
> blunt! so i don't mind at all! :-)
>
> <warning: cranky pants me here on below! apologies, and thanks for
> having thick skins.>
>
> (b) i just did the 5 (okay maybe 7) minute thing that i did before and
> it pretty much reaffirmed what i recollect about the bad taste in my
> mouth after using it.
>
> [i love how i wrote this in an outline bulleted format in a google
> doc, but when i paste it here it loses the bullets and i have to
> manually go and put "*"s in there. whatever. i guess we are living in
> the future of wonderful systems That Just Work ha ha.]
>
> where i'm coming from: i sorta know how to program, has used fps as
> well as bog-standard main-stream oos, uses a range of os, i've written
> gui stuff (both framework and app), i've used ides from emacs to
> intellij to visual studio to visualjava/cafe, and now i'm all excited
> to try to get stuck into dr. racket because i love scheme and want to
> try to expand my horizons. i happen to live in 2011 at the moment. i'm
> using a macbook pro and mac os x. (at home i use that or linux since
> my xp box is dead.) i'm really picky when it comes to usability and
> polish. not polish for the sake of polish, but all that for the sake
> of making the experience at least do no harm to the user, and if
> possible give them a wonderfully smooth experience. i have read
> enough, and used enough stuff to have a sense of what that means.
> things like as a high-level rule of thumb: not making the user feel
> punished by the system. so...
>
>    * it doesn’t look like a native app, so it is very off-putting and
> has unsettled me from the get-go. even just the basic app menus aren’t
> remotely native-app looking.

I think I understand what you mean by the parts I've deleted and
that's definitely food for thought. Thanks.

For the above, however, what do you mean? From what I read of Apple's
UI guidelines, DrRacket conforms. For example, the apple menu has the
specified menu items, as do the file and edit menus, in the places
where they are supposed to be. Seems to at least clear the bar for
"remotely". Perhaps there is a specific thing you're keying in on
here?

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.