[racket] Building Racket 5.2 dumps core on OpenBSD

From: Carson Chittom (carson at wistly.net)
Date: Fri Nov 11 19:41:05 EST 2011

Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> writes:

> At Fri, 11 Nov 2011 13:05:09 -0700, Matthew Flatt wrote:
>> I just tried a build on OpenBSD 5.0 within VirtualBox, and it went ok.
>
> It appears that my build "succeeded" only because I forgot to install
> libcairo, so that `racket/draw' didn't work for building certain
> documents.
>
> When `racket/draw' does work and when it's instantiated multiple times,
> there's a leak. So, my guess is that the problem you saw wasn't really
> specific to OpenBSD, but OpenBSD tends to have more restrictive
> memory-use limits by default than other OSes, and so you may have been
> the first to suffer from a leak that's actually everywhere.

That makes sense.  I'm trying at the moment to fiddle with the ulimit
settings to see if I can get it to compile without error (leak---if that
is indeed the issue---and all).  If I can make it work I'll post back
here in case anybody else does a Google search.

> For v5.2, assuming that the leak is the problem, one workaround is to
> run `raco setup' until it completes normally. Each run should make
> progress, and I imagine you'll only have to run `raco setup' one or two
> extra times.

Good to know; thanks!

--
http://www.wistly.net