[racket] Building Racket 5.2 dumps core on OpenBSD

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 11 18:33:43 EST 2011

At Fri, 11 Nov 2011 13:05:09 -0700, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> I just tried a build on OpenBSD 5.0 within VirtualBox, and it went ok.

It appears that my build "succeeded" only because I forgot to install
libcairo, so that `racket/draw' didn't work for building certain
documents.

When `racket/draw' does work and when it's instantiated multiple times,
there's a leak. So, my guess is that the problem you saw wasn't really
specific to OpenBSD, but OpenBSD tends to have more restrictive
memory-use limits by default than other OSes, and so you may have been
the first to suffer from a leak that's actually everywhere.

(If my guess is right, then it would be nicer if you had seen an "out
of memory" error. Racket sometimes has trouble detecting and recovering
from out-of-memory conditions, though, given that it's out of memory.)

I've pushed a leak repair to the git repo for the next version.

For v5.2, assuming that the leak is the problem, one workaround is to
run `raco setup' until it completes normally. Each run should make
progress, and I imagine you'll only have to run `raco setup' one or two
extra times.

Posted on the users mailing list.