[racket] Server side continuations

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 10 20:59:11 EDT 2011

Where to start?  Oh, where to start?  Every sentence begins half-right
and then ends up all-wrong.  (Even the premise of this flame is wrong.
 Continuations are not solely about managing client-side state.)

I guess it's up to Jay to post the brilliant follow-up that
will...well, who knows what will happen when someone this confused
reads it.

I wonder if he's read the structure of JavaScript programs, which --
because of the cooperative multi-tasking structure of JavaScript --
have to return control to the event loop (ie, "terminate") whenever
they make an Ajax request, leaving *another procedure* to pick up the
response if and when it arrives.  What a nifty pattern -- I really
wish it had a name!  Oh wait, I guess these days it's called "Ajax" --
which makes it all good.

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.