[racket] Uninstalling Racket

From: Hendrik Boom (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 03:50:23 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:46:50PM -0500, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
> Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan wrote at 02/14/2011 11:21 PM:
>> On a GNU/Linux system, how do I uninstall a previous install of Racket,
>> built and installed from git source?
> This has come up before.  I don't know whether someone made a tool for
> uninstalls, but if you install a new tree using the practice below, you
> can then get a file list from that tree, and from that generate a script
> that removes those files (but under "/usr" or "/usr/local" or wherever
> you put them before).  You'll want to inspect the script before running,
> of course, to make sure it's not removing something you don't want it to.
>
> One way to make uninstalling installs from source easy, and to get an
> additional benefit, is to use the "--prefix" option to "configure" to
> put a Racket installation into its own directory tree.
>
> My consulting work requires me to have a few different Racket versions
> installed at once, so I always install as
> "/usr/local/<PLT-OR-RACKET>-<VERSION>".  I also have consulting clients
> do this, if they can't use the ".deb" or ".rpm" for some reason.  On the
> computer I'm typing on right now, this looks like:
>
> $ cd /usr/local
> $ ls -d plt* racket*
> plt-4.2.5  plt-5.0.1       racket-5.0.2
> plt-5.0    plt-mflatt-gr2  racket-pre-20110208

The simplest thing for the final user would be for Racket too maintain
the package-making Make targets that the various distros use.  But this
might not be the simplese for the Racket devalopers.  Then you could
just install nd uninstall using Linux's package manager.

Have you tried getting the source code from your distro and making
packages from that, modifying it as necessary for the latest upstream
Racket code?

-- hendrik

Posted on the users mailing list.