[racket] Uninstalling Racket

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Mon Feb 14 23:46:50 EST 2011

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan wrote at 02/14/2011 11:21 PM:
> On a GNU/Linux system, how do I uninstall a previous install of Racket, built and installed from git source?
This has come up before.  I don't know whether someone made a tool for
uninstalls, but if you install a new tree using the practice below, you
can then get a file list from that tree, and from that generate a script
that removes those files (but under "/usr" or "/usr/local" or wherever
you put them before).  You'll want to inspect the script before running,
of course, to make sure it's not removing something you don't want it to.

One way to make uninstalling installs from source easy, and to get an
additional benefit, is to use the "--prefix" option to "configure" to
put a Racket installation into its own directory tree.

My consulting work requires me to have a few different Racket versions
installed at once, so I always install as
"/usr/local/<PLT-OR-RACKET>-<VERSION>".  I also have consulting clients
do this, if they can't use the ".deb" or ".rpm" for some reason.  On the
computer I'm typing on right now, this looks like:

$ cd /usr/local
$ ls -d plt* racket*
plt-4.2.5  plt-5.0.1       racket-5.0.2
plt-5.0    plt-mflatt-gr2  racket-pre-20110208

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/