[racket] Engineering Tradeoffs of ANF transforms and the Stateless Server

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Dec 31 18:37:03 EST 2011

Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote at 12/31/2011 05:33 PM:
> That's a fine position in theory, but I doubt it works well in
> practice even today.  When Jay talks about 3-4 GB, he doesn't mean
> over the course of a conference -- that could sometimes add up in just
> a few hours.  No amount of cheap RAM is going to combat that.

So I think that would fit this category for me:

>> 2. When an application with massive memory requirements was designed/tuned
>> specifically to work well with OS's virtual memory behavior.

Thrashing massive amounts to virtual memory to/from disk *naively*, as
normal operation, is not what I consider acceptable.

Maybe some student wants to see whether any big wins can be gotten for
keeping continuations in addressable virtual memory, if they can tweak
the app, Racket compiler, Racket VM and GC, Racket Web Server, and Linux.

Agreed about AJAX being good.  And I'm still interested in keeping
continuations in RDBMSs.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/