[racket] Huge executable

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 21 16:33:14 EST 2011

At Wed, 21 Dec 2011 17:34:58 +0100, Ferreira Maurizio wrote:
> I see that compiling even a small example I get an huge executable, while the
> programs in the Racket directory
> are very small (192 kb)

The program in the Racket directory are just "launchers" that rely on
code in the collection tree to implement the program.

> And this is the command  used
>
> Raco exe --gui test
>
> Program size : 6.48 MB

The `raco exe' command creates an executable that is closer to
stand-alone, including all bytecode into the executable. When you
create a truly stand-alone distribution with `raco dist', then the
result is even bigger, since it includes a copy of the Racket run-time
system and (depending on the platform) additional support libraries.

I think we don't currently have a command-line tool to generate
launchers like the ones in the Racket directory, but if that's what you
want, the `launcher/launcher' library provides functions such as
`make-gracket-launcher'.

Posted on the users mailing list.