[racket] Basic Questions Regarding Macros

From: Vincent St-Amour (stamourv at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 31 16:12:33 EDT 2011

At Wed, 31 Aug 2011 12:41:18 -0500,
Todd Bittner wrote:
> Finally, reading through the reference, #' serves, I believe, as shorthand
> for (syntax), but in what practical situations would I then call it?

When writing macros with `syntax-rules', you won't need it.

Racket also supports procedural macros, which give you access to
the full Racket language when writing your macros. Essentially,
procedural macros are functions that take syntax as arguments and
produce syntax as results. These syntax objects can be created by the
`syntax' form.

For more information, Eli wrote a great article about procedural
macros on the Racket blog:
http://blog.racket-lang.org/2011/04/writing-syntax-case-macros.html

Vincent

Posted on the users mailing list.