[racket] compile-omit-paths and scribblings field

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 13 09:45:24 EDT 2011

At Fri, 12 Aug 2011 19:27:16 -0400, Danny Yoo wrote:
> It appears that compile-omit-paths doesn't prevent a scribble file
> from being compiled, which is problematic if the scribble file
> requires another module that includes image snips.  We're seeing that
> when we PLaneT install a package, that during compilation, we see this
> error message:
>
>     raco setup:   write: cannot marshal value that is embedded in
> compiled code: (object:image% ...)
>
> However, if we remove the 'scribblings' field from the info.rkt,
> things compile cleanly, so we do think there's a bad interaction
> between compile-omit-paths and scribblings.  Is this a bug?

Yes -- I've pushed a fix.

Beware, though, that the document-building phase of `raco setup' uses
the ".zo" file for a document to determine whether the document should
be rebuilt. If you omit the document from compilation, then `raco
setup' will assume that the document needs to be rebuilt every time.

Posted on the users mailing list.