[racket] another mini-tutorial: a racket slice: munging IRC logs

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Aug 6 05:36:13 EDT 2011

Danny Yoo wrote at 08/06/2011 02:08 AM:
>     http://hashcollision.org/racket-slices/irc-parsing/index.html

Tutorials like this can certainly help attract new people and get them

Perhaps pick a more inspiring hunk of IRC dialogue to use as an example,
so as not to demotivate with the impression that IRC is futile?

And if you're going to use real-world IRC dialogue for this tutorial
and/or other purposes, I suspect you want to anonymize it, lest your
human subjects board gets all up in your business.  (Although that
"neilv" fellow is strikingly handsome.)

BTW, I suspect someone will find this in Google when they're trying to
talk with an IRC server from Racket, and be disappointed that this is
only about parsing a particular log format.  I think that there is some
IRC client code for Racket, not necessarily released.  I think I've seen
a Racket-based bot online, perhaps by Eli.  And I wrote an (unreleased)
IRC bot in Scheme in 2001, which supported DCC transfers and corrected
people's spelling.  So that Googling person should ask around when the
time comes.

Posted on the users mailing list.