[racket] another mini-tutorial: a racket slice: munging IRC logs

From: Rodolfo Carvalho (rhcarvalho at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 6 03:02:02 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 03:08, Danny Yoo <dyoo at cs.wpi.edu> wrote:

> I'm thinking of writing a series called "Racket Slices", which does a
> cookbook-style approach to learning about Racket.  I think there's a
> need for documentation that takes a "slice", a cross section of Racket
> to do some simple (but real-world!) task.  And since we're using the
> name "Racket", it demands that we use a pun about tennis.
>
> Here's what I'm thinking of:
>
>    http://hashcollision.org/racket-slices/irc-parsing/index.html
>

> How does it look?

Good work! If feels easy to read. Maybe you'll come up with more "revisions"
just like it happened to the brainfudge #lang tutorial.

I believe the "series" would be valuable for the community.

Today I came across the following excerpt which highlights the importance of
having examples to learn from:

*Examples* over *Documentation*: Attempts to use components were helped not
> by documentation but by the availability of example code that could be
> copy-and-pasted into the application and then tweaked to fit the situation.
> In some cases documentation was actually a hindrance. Misleading
> documentation found through Google led one team down a blind alley trying to
> use an inappropriate library that didn't actually do what was required.
> Another team tried to use a component that had huge amounts of well written
> documentation that was entirely useless and so slowed them down because they
> had to wade through a lot of text before finding out that they were wasting
> time. A team using components that had been developed test-first found the
> tests to be useful both as documentation and a good source of example code.

from http://www.natpryce.com/articles/000555.html

So having more examples of Racket code around can be a good thing when
people need to find out how to use certain functions, etc.

[]'s

Rodolfo