[racket] Java Conversion Utility [very very early stages]

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Sep 18 19:52:00 EDT 2010

Mathew Kurian wrote at 09/18/2010 07:24 PM:
 > I am still going through lists of racket and java code to find
similarities...I have seen many similarities and started to implement
these similarities.

As you convert more Racket to Java, I bet you'll find that it's a hard
problem, and that you'll have to read up on some very clever techniques
that people have come up with before for the hardest parts of
implementing Racket-like languages.

Also, don't be surprised if the GUI gets in the way of solving this
inherently non-GUI problem.  Test cases and the DrRacket interactions
window are your friends.

 > The question i would like to ask you all is: What features would you
all like to see or what features do you most admire in any sort of compiler?

I would love to see a tool that lets me write Android apps using
Racket.  Perhaps the tool would convert Racket source code to Android
Java-ish source code, or perhaps convert Racket source code to Android's
JVM-ish virtual machine code.  Such a tool would be a lot of work for
someone to build, but it would be one of my favorite and most awesome
tools once it worked.  I imagine that whoever was able to build this
would have already done HtDP, and would be looking at PLAI as well as
existing related tools like SISC.

Posted on the users mailing list.