[racket] News flash! Racket once again a legal choice for developing iPhone apps!

From: Jens Axel Søgaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Wed Sep 15 17:14:04 EDT 2010

2010/9/15 YC <yinso.chen at gmail.com>:

> But is racket a good choice to run in an restricted environment such as
> iPhone?  It seems like if one were to choose racket as a development
> platform for native iPhone app, there are a few questions (ones that I don't
> know about - others might know) on whether it is currently viable:
>
> ARM processor support

This ought to be supported:
    http://groups.google.com/group/plt-scheme/msg/8b51211f8a6a88ca

> limited memory usage

This is a biggie, but memory size will grow fast enough
that if it is a problem, it will disappear with time.

> Objective-C/Cocoa interface

There is a FFI ready:

http://docs.racket-lang.org/foreign/Objective-C_FFI.html

> Compilation to a "single" exe (zipped structure appears to be fine) - or at
> least compile all planet packages along with the exe so it can be shipped
> together without going through planet

The PLaneT dance might be impractical, but hardly a show stopper?

However there is something to think about regarding shared and static
C libraries.

--
Jens Axel Søgaard