[plt-scheme] find out return type of a function in typed scheme

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun May 16 17:18:42 EDT 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 1:00 PM, keydana at gmx.de <keydana at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>> What form of reflection would you want?  I don't think I'm going to
>> give access to the internal type representation, since I want to be
>> able to change that in the future.
> I'd need the return type of a function, as I'm tagging objects depending on
> that. Right now I'm using a workaround, I'm evaluating the expression and
> then test the result for its type, but I wouldn't need this if I could find
> out the operator's return type.

What are you using this information for?  That might help me make it
easier for you.

> I can get along with the workaround, only the other way would be more
> natural (if possible).
> Would there be a way to offer this information by some "convenience
> function", not necessitating exposal of the internal representation? But
> really it's not that urgent, I was just asking to be sure I don't oversee it
> in the documentation :-;

The problem with that is that if I changed the internal
representation, your code would break, since I'd just be returning
some struct from the implementation that might be different from
release to release.

sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.