[racket] Planet crashing, hanging upgade during compilation

From: synx (plt at synx.us.to)
Date: Sun Jun 27 20:02:19 EDT 2010

So I was installing racket yesterday and noticed that the installation
was hanging on the sub-installation of a planet package. I looked at the
situation, tried removing any proxies I might have set up, but nothing I
could do would install that package. So I used 'raco planet url' to find
the URL of the package, and then did something like this:

http_proxy= wget -c
'http://planet.racket-lang.org/servlets/planet-servlet.ss?lang=%225.0.0.1%22&name=%22date-tz.plt%22&maj=1&min-lo=0&min-hi=%23f&path=%28%22bzlib%22%29'

Sure enough the file started coming in just fine, and then the server
derped out somehow and left the connection hanging. I tried again, and
discovered that planet does not support the HTTP Range header :c

So I can partially download the file, anywhere from 10 to 20% of it,
then my connection hangs. I don't think it's a problem on my side as I
continue to browse other sites normally and this has been happening
consistently only with planet.racket-lang.org for the last two days.
Since the Range header isn't supported, I can't resume my download and
have to start over every time. Ergo I cannot get the file, no matter what.

A fix would be appreciated? ^.^; I dunno why it would be sending the
file and just... stop partway through the connection. Out of memory
error maybe?

Posted on the users mailing list.