[racket] Racket install issue

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Jul 14 14:31:27 EDT 2010

On Jul 14, spir wrote:

> My system is ubuntu 9.10.
> After some search, I found that the .sh file downloaded is a shar
> archive, to be unpacked and installed using unshar. Right.

No -- the ".sh" file is (in this case and in general) a file that
should be fed to a shell, so you should run it simply as

  sh the-file.sh

or you can just make it executable and run that:

  chmod +x the-file.sh
  ./the-file.sh

(You've probably seen the second entry at
http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/sh, which is misleading.)

Note that there is a problem with the sh installers for 5.0, if you
answer "no" to the first question (about a "unix-style distribution")
then you won't have any problem.  (This will create a single directory
with the racket installation -- and it's more convenient in many
cases, since you can move that directory anywhere you want.)