[racket] Racket install issue

From: spir (denis.spir at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 14:19:21 EDT 2010

Hello,

I'm completely new to Racket, Scheme and Lisp dialects in general. I count on the racket system to learn...
While trying to install, I face the issue described below. The only tip on installation I could find online (searched for a while...) is:
"1 Ready...

Download Racket, install, and then start DrRacket."
at http://docs.racket-lang.org/quick/index.html
Seems all other docs take install for granted. Is the README inside the package I cannot open? ;-)

My system is ubuntu 9.10.
After some search, I found that the .sh file downloaded is a shar archive, to be unpacked and installed using unshar. Right. With the ubuntu package, the result is the following (note: I do not answer the questions asked by the installer, the output as shown below is produced without any key stroke by me):

spir at o:~/Desktop/Lisp$ unshar racket-5.0-bin-i386-linux-ubuntu-jaunty.sh
/home/spir/Desktop/Lisp/racket-5.0-bin-i386-linux-ubuntu-jaunty.sh:
This program will extract and install Racket v5.0.

Note: the required diskspace for this installation is about 241M.

Do you want a Unix-style distribution?
  In this distribution mode files go into different directories according
  to Unix conventions.  A "racket-uninstall" script will be generated
  to be used when you want to remove the installation.  If you say 'no',
  the whole Racket directory is kept in a single installation directory
  (movable and erasable) unit, possibly with convenient external links
  into it -- this is often more convenient, especially if you want to
  install multiple versions or keep it in your home directory.
Enter yes/no (default: no) > Enter yes/no (default: no) > Enter yes/no (default: no) > Enter yes/no (default: no) > Enter yes/no (default: no) > Enter yes/no (default: no) > Enter yes/no (default: no) > Enter yes/no (default: no) > Enter yes/no (default: no) > Enter yes/no (default: no) >
Where do you want to install the "plt" directory tree?
  1 - /usr/plt [default]
  2 - /usr/local/plt
  3 - ~/plt (/home/spir/plt)
  4 - ./plt (here)
  Or enter a different "racket" directory to install in.
> sh: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

With the Debian package, I get the following:

spir at o:~/Desktop/Lisp$ unshar racket-5.0-bin-i386-linux-debian.sh
/home/spir/Desktop/Lisp/racket-5.0-bin-i386-linux-debian.sh:
[...]

Checking the integrity of the binary archive... /usr/bin/tail: cannot open `sh' for reading: No such file or directory
Error: bad CRC checksum.

Note: sh is installed on my computer (indeed).
Cannot read/open the file in an editor. I have idea what I can do now.
Thank you,

Denis